Food fixation: Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kebabs
Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kebabs - Delicious lean protein energy booster meal!
Makes: 10 kebabs
- Low in fat
- High quantity of fruit and vegetables - Pineapple (Anti-Inflammatory, Digestive aid, Antioxidant Protection and Immune Support), Red and Green Bell Peppers (Good source of Vitamin E, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin and high in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties) Onions (Cardiovascular, Bone and Connective Tissue support, aids in preventing Cancer) and Garlic (Amongst other things, detoxifies, lowers blood sugar and cholesterol levels).
- Very good source of lean protein (from the Chicken - which is also a great source of Vitamin B, for energy, and niacin which helps convert proteins and fats into usable energy in the body).
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small green bell peppers (or 1 1/2 large), diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small red bell peppers (or 1 1/2 large), diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into 1 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 heaping cups fresh pineapple, diced into 1 1/2 inch chunks (and about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, light-brown sugar, honey, orange marmalade, molasses, grated ginger, garlic and pepper. Reserve 1 cup of sauce mixture in a bowl in refrigerator and pour remaining sauce over diced chicken in a large ziploc bag. Seal bag and place bag in a bowl (to prevent leaks) in refrigerator and allow chicken to marinate 4 hours in refrigerator.
- To prepare glaze, pour reserved 1 cup sauce into a small saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp cold water and cornstarch, then pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and stir. Bring sauce just to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat and allow to gently boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To prepare kabobs, using either metal skewers or water soaked wood skewers, thread a piece of marinated chicken (discard marinade), followed by an onion wedge, a chunk of red pepper, a chunk of green pepper and a chunk of pineapple, then repeat pattern twice and finish with an additional piece of chicken (I fit 4 pieces of chicken on the kebab total then 3 of everything else).
- Grill kebabs over medium heat, 12 - 16 minutes rotating once halfway through grilling, until chicken has fully cooked through. Remove from grill and brush kebabs with teriyaki sauce, serve warm with cooked white or brown rice if desired (alternately you can brush kebabs with teriyaki sauce during the last few minutes of grilling but I say why waste such good sauce that will drip to bottom of the grill).
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy