So over here in the good old land of Oz - no, unfortunately not the one with Winged Monkeys, Witches and Munchkins, which, by the way I am DYING to see... anyone seen Oz: The Great and Powerful yet? No, I'm talking about the one with the venemous mammals, Julia Gillard, and the Wiggles (Not all that different I suppose... anyway, back on topic!) the weather is finally starting to crank it down a notch :) Melbourne locals are dusting off their umbrellas with a pang of remorse (and at the same time eager anticipation!) and hunting through the piles of shorts, singlets and Tees in search of their jackets, jeans and perhaps even a scarf or two, though let's not get too ahead of ourselves here (and by 'ourselves'... I mean me; No you can't wear your wool-lined, knee length, extra-thick, heavy-as-a-house, ancient winter coat yet, which makes you look like the female version of Hagrid, by the way. Too soon Ally, too soon...). Anyway, the point is, it's time to take advantage of the fact that we can start enjoying the luxury of meals above room temperature again (yipee!) which is fabulous, because as everyone knows I'm addicted to Sushi, but a girl does have her limits! And I am more than ready to embrace bowls of steamy hot casseroles, mouth-watering veggie soups and - the feature of today's post - home-made Pizza!!! Yum yum yum! So enjoy everybody, even if you don't make any of the recipes I've found for you today (...Pssst! These are delish though, trust me!!) I hope that this post inspires you to get cooking some wonderful, yummy, warm food of your own (we all know original recipes are the best after all!) ;) x Ally
VEGETABLE PESTO PIZZA
Ingredients (vegetables can be added or removed from recipe to suit taste... we like our pizza with tomatoes, like the one above!)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1-3/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Parmesan cheese, oil, sugar, basil, salt, all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough with a fork. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain and place in a food processor. Add pesto; cover and process until blended.
- Spread over pizza crust. Top with broccoli, green pepper, green onions, garlic and mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Thanks to www.tasteofhome.com for the recipe.
Nutritional Facts 1 piece equals approximately 360 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 543 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Excuse us whilst we drool... ;)