Rice cake recipes
Rice cakes are a pantry favourite that can be used to create many healthy snacks. As a tasty alternative to bread or crackers, they are highly nutritious. I like the rice cakes from SunRice – they are made of 100% Australian grown wholegrain brown rice, 97% fat free, cholesterol and gluten free and even have the National Heart Foundations Tick of Approval.
Here are a few recipes that make quick and healthy snacks – savoury and sweet!
Poached Egg, spinach and hollandaise sauce
Great for breakfast! Serves: 2 Preparation: 10 mins Cooking Time: 5 mins
Ingredients: - 4 SunRice Thick Plain Rice Cakes - 4 Eggs (1 per rice cake) - 2 tblspn white vinegar - 4 cups fresh baby spinach - 2 tspn extra virgin olive oil - 1 tspn balsamic vinegar - Salt and pepper to taste - 8 tblspn hollandaise sauce
- Fill a shallow sauce pan with water and bring to the boil.
- Pour 2 tblspn white vinegar into boiling water.
- Crack each egg separately into a small dish and lower into the water.
- Poach egg for 2-3 minutes for a soft egg.
- Lift out of water in spoon and place on towel to drain.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Toss the baby spinach in the dressing.
- Place the baby spinach on to the rice cakes.
- Place the egg on top of the baby spinach.
- Pour over hollandaise sauce over the poached eggs.
TRY: Cooking the eggs in different ways and adding salmon, bacon or ham for variation.
Fresh Lunch Rice Cakes
This recipe can be altered by adding your own ingredients to suit your taste. It is the perfect snack for on the go or light lunch.
- Rice cakes - Your selection of toppings. Our suggestions include:
- Cream cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Char grilled veggies
Pretty much anything you chose!
- Spread your choice of base topping (such as cream cheese) on to the rice cake.
- Place your choice of topping on to the rice cakes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
So simple and easy to make according to what you like to eat!
Chocolate, Apricot and Almond Crunchies
Sweet little treats!
Serves: 4 Preparation: 10 mins Cooking Time: 1 min
Ingredients: - 4 SunRice Thick Plain Rice Cakes - 375g milk or white chocolate - ½ cup diced dried apricots - ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- Melt chocolate over low heat in a saucepan.
- Crumble the rice cakes.
- Once chocolate is melted, add all of the ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon.
- With a tablespoon take out one spoon full at a time and scoop on to plate or serving tray lined with baking paper.
- Leave in a cool place to let harden.
You can try this recipe with any type of chocolate and try alternate apricots and almonds with other dried fruits and nuts.
You can find more recipes like these at the SunRice website here or get creative with your own snacks and share them with us here at Energetiks!
By Energetiks writer, Katerina